A woman almost lost her vision after she accidentally used nail glue instead of eye drops.
Yacedrah Williams said she went to sleep with her contact lenses in, but woke up at 1 a.m. and wanted to take them out because her eyes were dry.
Williams reached in her purse and grabbed what she thought was a bottle of eye drops. But instead, Williams grabbed a bottle of nail glue, which was about the same color and size as the bottle of eye drops. Williams was with her husband at the time when she realized her mistake.
“I was like, ‘oh my goodness,’ and it dropped in my eye and I tried to wipe it away and it sealed my eye shut,” Williams said. “I just started throwing cold water and I was trying to pull my eyes apart, but I couldn’t. And I was just screaming for him to call 911,” Williams said.
Williams was rushed to a local hospital. Doctors opened her eye and removed her contact lens, according to reports. Doctors told Williams that her contact lenses likely saved her vision, she said.
“They said that contacts saved my vision. They kept saying, ‘you’ll probably lose your lashes,’ which I did because they had to pull on it and flip the top of my lid,” Williams told the station.
Dr. George Williams of Beaumont Health said that if you ever get anything in your eye, you should immediately try and flush it out by using a nearby faucet or bottle of water. He noted that it will make a mess, but “you may save your vision.”
“If it’s any comfort to her, she’s not the first person to make this mistake,” he added.
In 2015, a Florida woman, Katie Gaydos, glued her eye shut after a friend accidentally handed her fingernail glue instead of Visine, WPBF-TV reported.
“It’s stuck to my eyelids and my eyeball and it really hurts,” she said at the time.